Thursday, May 24, 2007

Whizbang Picnic Table Mover

Years ago, when my wife Marlene and I were just married and I was starting out in the building trades, we lived with Marlene’s parents, Jay and Evelyn Myers. It was not a bad thing living with my inlaws. Jay and Evelyn were good people and staying with them for a few years allowed us to save enough money to buy some land. Then Marlene and I built our home (I tell about this in my book Writings of a Deliberate Agrarian).

Marlene’s parents lived on a busy road. I decided to take advantage of the traffic and make some extra money by making and selling picnic tables. I made the tables in Jay’s barn out behind the house. Then I put one out by the road with a sign and the price. They sold very well. When we eventually moved into our own home, I stopped selling the tables, and Jay took over the business. He was a retired diary farmer looking for something to do. Making the tables was just perfect for him.

Well, Jay passed away ten years ago, but Marlene and I still have one of the 8-foot-long picnic tables he made. It’s showing it’s age but is still together and functional . It’s also heavy and hard to move, which brings me to the Whizbang Picnic Table Mover.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

That’s my 12-year-old son, James, with the very heavy and awkward picnic table on our Whizbang Garden Cart. I put it on the cart myself by simply tipping one side up, positioning the cart up to the tipped table, and flopping it over onto the cart. It’s a simple thing to do once you’ve done it. The extended corner blocks (which I call “horns”) on the dump-end of the cart secure the table so it doesn’t slide off. Wheeling it around is a whole lot easier than trying to carry it. Here’s another picture….

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This story illustrates the incredible versatility of the Whizbang. To learn more about the Whizbang Garden Cart and find out how you can get a copy of the book, Anyone Can Build A Whizbang Garden Cart, click on this link.

No comments: